Tuesday 24 August 2010

Undeserving



It is my silver wedding anniversary today, an unequal celebration of 25 years honourable vow-keeping by one party and about 23 by me I reckon. At 6am before going to the gym I receive an exquisite silver dragon brooch (should I wear it like a Romano-British chieftain?) and instructions to be back in time for a celebration dinner. It is not exactly that I have forgotten but lunch-time finds me in Neath frantically seeking out a card and a feeble gift (an imitation red rose if you must know). The disparity in effort and thoughtfulness is representative, I confess. But there is no problem and I enjoy lobster risotto among other treats. Meanwhile on the same day I have a new niece born out west and all well.

Dulce ridentem Lalagen amabo / Dulce loquentem.